Security Investigations Manager
About M-KOPA Solar
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 200,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for US $0.45, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of May 2015 M-KOPA employs over 650 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
Position Title: Security Investigations Manager
Location: NAIROBI HQ with frequent travel throughout Kenya
Position Start: As soon as possible Reporting to: Director of Operations OVERALL PURPOSE
The Security Investigations Manager role calls for confidentiality and discretion, managing and supporting investigative cases in line with legislative requirements, best practice and M-KOPA policies. You will take a lead role in the identification and investigation of any suspicious activity that may have a detrimental effect on M-KOPA’s ability to service customers and collect money due for sales made.
You will also undertake external fraud investigations and liaise with police and other government agencies, coupled with the preparation of witness statements and other evidence gathering for provision to law enforcement, or in tribunal cases.
If you possess good technical investigations experience (preferably within a medium to large financial services company or law enforcement environment), and strong fieldwork and analytical skills then this could be the role for you. In addition excellent communication, interviewing and customer service skills are a must. You will:
- Manage a small team of field operatives
- Conduct investigations into suspicious activities
- Analyze system outputs and reports from staff and customers to identify areas of concern to the business; identify patterns and activities that are indicators of potential fraud
- Monitor transactions and key controls in order to identify risk areas and create an internal suspicious activity monitoring p
- Suggest suitable controls to control fraudulent activity and stock loss
- Investigate anomalies by conducting interviews with staff members, customers and other
- Undertake domiciliary visits to benefit claimants, suspects, third parties or others as required.
- Report any criminal activities to the authorities and work with them to investigate and resolve such cases
- Organizing and coordinating joint fraud initiatives, to include allocating tasks for the Police or other organizations
- Participate fully in any anti-fraud initiatives the company is involved in
- Prepare and provide suitable reporting to senior management.
- Good knowledge of Kenyan Legislative environment
- Background in Police, private investigation, security or similar
- Experience in Fraud Investigations
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Persistence and tenacity and an extremely enquiring mind
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good detailed report writing skills
- Flexibility to travel widely through Kenya & East Africa
- Familiarity with the Kenyan landscape and a valid Kenya driving license
Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EV-MSSM-615
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M- KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.