M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Project Manager
Location: Winchester, UK
Position Start: Immediate
Contract: One year rolling contract, 3 month probation
Reporting to: Head of M-KOPA Labs
M-KOPA Labs will identify, develop and test new product/service opportunities and bring them to market-readiness. The Labs will continue M-KOPA’s work with a range of funding and implementation partners to explore opportunities to serve new and existing customers with valued products and services. The M-KOPA Labs will also place particular emphasis upon capturing and sharing lessons that can: add value to M-KOPA’s relationships with its partners and stakeholders; and contribute to a wider understanding of its customer’s circumstances and needs.
M-KOPA is setting up research and development (R&D) funding agreements with a number of donor funders and will be initiating a number of R&D projects for which we are recruiting one or more Project Managers.
The first project that will be implemented involves researching, developing and testing an agri-input “add-on” product for M-KOPA customers that are directly, or partially involved in agricultural production as a means of income generation. This product will enable customers to purchase valuable agricultural inputs (including seeds and fertilizer) through a flexible purchase and repayment plan.
The Project Manager is responsible for the planning, management and delivery of a project through a structured work plan ensuring that the project team operates effectively, assignments are implemented efficiently and deliverables meet clients’ expectations. The Project Manager must ensure projects are delivered in accordance with client requirements, and M-KOPA’s policies and procedures.
Based at the M-KOPA offices in Winchester, with frequent visits to the M-KOPA campuses in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, the role of the Project Manager will be to support the Head of the M-KOPA Labs with management of the agri-input project (and others as required).
- Work Planning & Monitoring
- Development of research methodologies including: theory of change and research hypotheses, logical framework and monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Developing a project work plan, monitoring the progress of the project against the work plan, and updating against progress.
- Communicating changes to the work plan to the project, partners and the client.
- Monitoring assumptions in the project theory of change, and reporting findings to the Head of M-KOPA Labs.
- Relationship Management
- Establish relationship management systems and protocols to build positive working relationships with the client, partners, consultants and project team personnel.
- Quality Assurance
- Development of procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties as required related to overall administration of projects, including procurement.
- Agreeing a Quality Assurance Plan with the Head of M-KOPA Labs, and supporting the Head of M-KOPA Labs in the implementation of the Plan.
- Supporting the Head of M-KOPA Labs in the organisation of peer review of inputs, outputs and deliverables.
- Organising internal and external audits as required.
- Ensuring project documentation is properly named and filed in accordance with company guidelines.
- Reviewing deliverables and consultant reports for technical rigour.
- Ensuring contracts and terms of reference are accurate and aligned with the project workplan.
- Ensuring consultants and subcontractors deliver assignments to meet client and business needs.
- Financial Management
- Ensuring the project is delivered in accordance with the project budget.
- Regularly invoicing the client and providing financial information as requested.
- Ensure project financial information is accurate and up to date.
- Risk Management & Health and Safety
- Monitoring and management of project risks, and communicating potential impact to the client, stakeholders and internal reporting mechanisms.
- Ensuring full compliance of the project within M-KOPA’s Quality Management System, Health and Safety procedures and Delegation of Authority, enforcing regulations and procedures within the project team.
- HR Management
- Oversight of the recruitment, procurement and mobilisation of project staff, consultants and sub-contractors.
- Support HR troubleshooting within the team and assist staff with employment, contractual and professional issues as needed or refer them to other business functions.
- Direct the work of other staff and contract consultants retained to provide particular expertise in project studies, programming, development, design, or management.
- Participate in, or manage the selection, hiring, and development of these individuals.
- Logistics, Policies & Strategies
- Coordinating the logistical arrangements required to successfully deliver the project, including; project office, IT infrastructure, mobilisations, policies and systems required for delivery.
- Overseeing the mobilisation of consultants ensuring compliance with the M-KOPA Travel Policy and Mobilisation Procedures.
- Plan, prepare and communicate schedules and progress records of projects’ activities and expenditures, and assist others in establishing project schedules and milestones.
- Develop critical path or project flow diagrams to plan, set and evaluate progress on project tasks.
- Where necessary, establish systems for efficient management of subcontractor activities.
- Review, analyse, and prepare reports and other correspondence on all activities and transactions related to assigned tasks, and provide timely information and status updates on assigned tasks.
- Prepare and present comprehensive administrative, fiscal, statistical and technical studies, reports, evaluations, specifications and correspondence as required.
- Three (3) to six (6) years’ experience of relevant project management.
- Degree in international development, business studies, economics, or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred.
Experience & Skills:
- Demonstrable Experience in donor contracting, grants and cost-share.
- Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of the development projects.
- Experienced in computer applications specifically related to capital management, such as MS Project and MS excel.
- Skilled in the principles and practices of personnel supervision and management.
Proven ability to:
- Develop innovative approaches to product research, design and development for low income customers in east Africa.
- Keep complex projects on schedule and within budget.
- Coordinate and supervise complex international development projects.
- Accurately analyse situations and problems relating to complex projects, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement an effective course of action in accordance with general policy and pertinent codes and regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of performing assigned responsibilities.
- Read and interpret highly complex written material such as technical reports,.
- Prepare contract documents for professional services and projects and monitor performance.
- Assess plans and design concepts for the most complex projects.
- Utilize all commonly used project management software and project record systems.
- Supervise and train assigned staff.
Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EV-MLPM-2051
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from
M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.